Thursday, January 5, 2012

My First Stick Weaving Experience


       The art of stick weaving has been around for centuries, brought to America by our ancestors. Stick weaving has become a lost art, forgotten about, hiding in the shadows of all the technology of the present day.
       Though older generations such as our grandparents are very skilled in weaving (seeing as how many were forced to use weaving as a way of clothing), I myself, an eighteen year old college student was not skilled or even aware of the craft.
        As I walked into my J-Term class for the first time, Everything Old Is New Again, I was prepared to learn the lost arts such as weaving and knitting. Our instructor began by showing us how to prepare our four weaving sticks, first by drilling small holes to thread yarn through (threading the yarn through the holes was actually the hardest part of the whole project), and second by sharpening the opposite ends of the sticks. After preparing our weaving sticks, we were taught how to begin the actual weaving.
         I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to weave. Once I got started I became increasingly more comfortable with the movement of weaving the yarn through the sticks. Though many of my peers decided to weave scarves, I decided to weave a head band/ear warmer with camouflauge colored yarn, perfect for my early morning hunting trips! From start to finish, it took less than an hour.
         Now that I have been introduced to the art of weaving, I see myself continuing the activity long after my freshman J-Term class is over. It's fun, entertaining, and I found that it's even great for keeping you busy during commercial breaks!

1 comment:

  1. Emili, I love your blog. I will definitely be a follower. How neat to be weaving. You can weave your Aunt Rachel a head band! Pink with brown would be nice. Lol!

    ReplyDelete